Ogilvie History

Old-Store-Front

In 1919, B.L. Ogilvie began his business selling coal and household goods in Weston, MA. He acquired horses for teaming and added a sawmill. Trees were cut for lumber from what is now the Ogilvie Town Forest, milled at Warren Avenue and then sold at retail.

By 1927 B.L. had acquired six trucks and employed ten men. The company built several roads and houses in Weston and during the winter months they would plow snow for the town. In 1928, a railroad siding was added for receiving coal, grain, shavings and lumber. Ogilvie’s continued to grow and in 1932 became incorporated.

Today, Ogilvie’s is a lumber yard with all lumber under cover, a full-service hardware store with propane filling station, and a landscape supply yard.

Over The Years

  • 1919 B.L. Opens business at Warren Avenue, Weston, MA.
  • 1928 Addition of railroad siding, lumber, hardware, coal
  • 1932 Incorporated as B.L. Ogilvie & Sons, Inc.
  • 1936 Addition of heating oil service
  • 1938 Ogilvie’s saw mill was commissioned to process the fallen trees from surrounding towns caused by the Hurricane of 1938
  • 1954 New office constructed; began tradition of lolly-pop “Tree” giveaway to children
  • 1958 Construction of 6,000 sq. ft. drive thru lumber warehouse
  • 1969 Celebrated 50th year in business
  • 1977 Construction of 5,000 sq. ft. hardware and garden building
  • 1978 Open regular hours during blizzard; Alden Whittemore coins slogan “Ogilvie Has It!”
  • 1982 B.L.’s youngest son, Ray Ogilvie retires
  • 1988 Purchased abutting land for new lumber warehouse purposes
  • 1989 Celebrated 70th year in business
  • 1992 Construction of 10,000 sq. ft. drive thru lumber warehouse
  • 1993 Donation of two acres of land to Weston Forest & Trails Association
  • 1994 Celebrated 75 years in business; B.L.’s grandson, Alden Whittemore retires
  • 1995 Added propane filling station
  • 2000-2015 Voted Best of Metro West, Readers Choice Award
  • 2001 Signed with Do-It-Best buying co-op
  • 2002 Denny High retires from role as treasurer
  • 2004 Celebrated 85 years in business
  • 2007 Ogilvie Root Beer introduced
  • 2009 Celebrated 90 years in business
  • 2010 Increased hours of operation, 7:00-5:00 M-F, 7:30-4:00 Sat.
  • 2011 Ken Sutherland, retires from role as President after 48 years
  • 2011 Ogilvie BBQ Sauce introduced
  • 2012 Kevin Whittemore, B. L.’s great grandson becomes President
  • 2013 John Place retires from role as contractor sales after 44 years
  • 2016 Walter Mulcahy retires from role as Vice President after 50 years